Share This Post

General Lifestyle / Lifestyle

How to deal with your energy suppliers when moving home

Moving home, whether you are buying and selling your home or moving to a new rented property, there is a lot to think about. With all the hassle of moving to a new house or flat one thing which often get’s overlooked is dealing with the energy suppliers at your old and new properties. Below I’ll take you through some of the steps for how to close off with your previous energy supplier and make sure you have a smooth transition with your new energy supplier(s).


Before you leave your old home


Notify your current energy supplier

The last few days before a move can be fraught. With packing and organising all your belongings being moved it’s easy to skip other things but this is when you should be notifying your current electricity and gas suppliers that you will be moving. You need to let suppliers know the date you will be leaving the property as well as your new address. They will then send you a final energy bill to close off your account. You will need to give your current energy supplier a meter reading on your moving day to avoid being overcharged through estimated billing.

Homeowners: This helps them to bill you accurately and ensures no usage from the new owners get’s added to your bill.

Tenants: If you are renting your property you should also notify your landlord of the meter readings on the day you move out. This figure needs to be agreed between you and your landlord.


Meter readings

As well as taking a meter reading at your old property on the day you move out you should also take a note of the meter readings at your new home when you move in and confirm this with the current energy suppliers.

Before you leave write the new occupants a note with the name and contact details of the energy companies you have been using at the property as the property itself will probably still be connected to these companies.

Homeowners: Leave a note, either at your old property or with the estate agent for the new owners. Note down final meter readings, energy company name(s) and contact numbers.

Tenants: Your landlord should inform new tenants all they need to know but noting the above info down for them is helpful too.


When you move into a new home

Again, start by taking accurate meter readings which you can pass on to energy companies asap to ensure you are only paying for energy you have used.


Check which companies supply energy for your new home.

When you move in and start using energy, without having signed up for a contract, you will be automatically placed onto a ‘deemed contract’ with the energy company which had been supplying the previous residents. Make sure you contact them soon after moving in with the energy meter readings to ensure you are only billed for energy you are using.

There are several ways to find out who your current energy supplier is, you can read more in this handy guide to who is my gas and electricity problems.

If your new property has prepayment meters fitted for either gas or electricity you will need to contact the energy companies and arrange for a new top up key or card to be delivered. This will be sent asap.

When you call the energy providers to both inform them you have moved in, and to provide up to date energy meter readings they will create a new energy account for you as an interim before you sign up for a contract. Most energy suppliers will place you on their standard tariff when you first move in and are not on a contracted tariff.

If you are going to be getting both your gas and electricity from the same provider, and you have found them to be offering the best energy prices, you should ask to be put on a ‘dual fuel’ tariff.


Check you are getting the best deal on your electricity and gas.

Use an energy comparison site to help you get the best energy prices and deal for your new home. It will be difficult for you to plan for your energy needs in a new property as you won’t know how much you will be using. Waiting for a month after moving in will allow you (and energy companies) to build a picture of your energy usage and recommend the best plan for you. Energy switching services, such as USwitch can also help you estimate how much energy you will use based on your property type.

Homeowners: Try using a comparison site to ensure you get the best deal on your gas and electricity supply.

Tenants: Contact your landlord and find out whether you can change energy suppliers. Some landlords do and some do not allow you to change suppliers. You might be able to reduce bills by switching to a cheaper tariff.

Attribution: Russell Bowes Google+ profile

Share This Post

Lost Password